Sunday, August 8, 2010

Granny writes...May, 1926

"The world's favorite season is the spring.  All things seem possible in May."
Granny was afraid of being laid off, but just the opposite happened.  She was asked to stay with Stark Brothers, even though it wasn't really where she wanted to be.  I laugh at some of the expressions and words she uses:  "puffed up", "white iris", "keen", "darlingest", "big head", "thrills and heart throbs", "hot stuff".  I've decided she really was a character--for instance, she lost her engagement ring, and refers to herself as "the most heartsick girl that ever lived" ... however, she goes on to say "I did manage to buy a new dress and hat, both rose colored, but I wasn't interested in them" ... she was so clever and witty.

Saturday, May 1, 1926
Dear Diary,
I was so "pre cited" today.  I had the funniest feeling this morning, as if I were to be laid off.  About ten o'clock Mr. Hickerson sent for me.  He wanted to know what I planned to do this summer, and if they could count on me next Fall and Winter should they keep me this summer.  I said I didn't intend to get married soon, if that was what he meant.  He said that everyone liked my work, etc, and got me all puffed up.  I am to get a vacation in June and one in August.  I hate to think of having to live in this place a whole year, but I guess I can stand it.
I got the darlingest letter this morning.  I wish I could see him.
Paul Reller asked me for a date for Monday night but I haven't any intentions of going.  Mr. Tom called me "White Iris" when I met him.
,
Sunday, May 2, 1926
Dear Diary,
This has been the longest day, but I have rather enjoyed it.  I got my letter about eight o'clock, and it was keen too.  Lucile, Alta and I went to the Christian Sunday School.  I answered my letter after S.S. Then after dinner Alta, Evelyn and I took a short walk and gathered some flowers.
Lucile, Hope, Joy, Elsie and I started to take a long hike but it commenced to rain so we didn't stay long.  Had a good time at that though.
I just came home from Church, we took Jenny Lou home. The lights went out while we were there.

Monday, May 3, 1926
Dear Diary,
Lucile, Joy and I just came back from town.  We went down to see the excursion boat and then we went in to Bankheads.  I got three letters this morning.  Clint's, Lennice and Dot.  Tonight I got a letter from home.  The folks were glad I am to stay, but then I suppose I am glad, too.
I wrote to Clint, Rose, and Wilma at the office today.  Isn't that awful?
Where will I be this time next month, or this time next year?  I wonder.

Tuesday, May 4, 1926
Dear Diary,
I went to the Circle meeting tonight and enjoyed it fairly well.  I don't think I shall join it though.
I am so sleepy I can hardly see to write.  I got a good letter from my sweet man.  I have been so homesick for him today, moreso than usual.  I only wrote one personal letter at the office.  I am doing well, don't you think!
I got a curling iron, $2.60, for Pauline's birthday and wrapped it ready for mailing.  I hope she will like it for it represents two days of hard labor, or part of two days.
Sent to Brown's Drug Store at Quincy for some medicine, too.

Wednesday, May 5, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have had a pressing bee tonight.  I pressed everything I had in my possession, almost. I got my laundry bag this evening, my clothes are all as fresh and clean and Mother sent me some candy, too.  I certainly appreciate it a lot.
I got a keen letter from Clint this morning.  I have been so homesick for him and home today I didn't know what to say or do.  I got a letter from Reva Jane this evening and she has so many nice things planned for us, but the trouble is I'm not going to be there.  I got my invitation to the Alumni, too.  I am good and tired tonight.

Thursday, May 6, 1926
Dear Diary,
I did a dumb trick tonight.  Went to the barber shop with Fredda and two boys asked to bring us home.  I didn't see any harm so I went.  Of course, they had to go riding.  A fellow named John Zuck, or something like that, wanted to kiss me and I almost knocked him cold, literally speaking.  At any rate, he didn't do it.  I can't bear the thought of anyone kissing me besides the one I love best.
I got his letter as usual and answered it.  Got a letter from Nola Mae tonight.  She is coming about the seventeenth or eighteenth.  Oh boy, won't I be happy?  I can hardly wait.

Friday, May 7, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have been working on my quilt tonight.  Isn't that shocking?  I do want to get it finished.  I have been so homesick today, I don't think I can stand it here much longer.  Lucile thinks she will have to leave next week and Joy quits at the office tomorrow.  It will be so lonesome when all the girls leave.
I wrote to Clint and Nola Mae at the office today.  Aren't I awful?  I mean to write at the office.

Saturday, May 8, 1926
Dear Diary,
I just came home from town.  Didn't buy much, but still the money is gone.  Lucy and I went into Bankheads.
I got the darlingest letter from my sweet man this morning, and wrote to him at the office.  Also wrote a letter to Mother, and didn't do a darn thing but come off and leave both of them at the office.  I was so disgusted with myself I didn't know what to do.  Herman Davidson was out in his car and he took us back after them.  He certainly saved my life.
Idelle, Annette, and Joy were laid off this evening.  If it doesn't rain, we are going to Clinton Hill to cook our breakfast in the morning.

Sunday, May 9, 1926
Dear Diary,
I did it again tonight.  Paul Reller brought me home from church.  What will my Clint think or shall I tell him?  I am to go to the show with him tomorrow night.  Some more scandal.  He wanted to kiss me and I told him I wouldn't go to the show with him if he did, and I meant it, too.
We had a lovely time this morning.  Cooked bacon, weiners and coffee and walked all over the hill.
I hurried back to get my letter and it was a sweet one, too.  Being with Paul made me want Clint all the more. 
Elsie and I went to church this morning and I wrote to Clint and Lennice this afternoon.

Monday, May 10, 1926
Dear Diary,
I liked the show very much and Paul was as nice as he could be.  I don't think he will ask me for another date and I hope he doesn't.
I got my letter as usual and answered it at the office.  Also wrote to the folks and lost them on the bus, but recovered them.
Got a letter from Pauline and Helen tonight.   Polly was so pleased with her curling iron and the folks did go to Bethel.
We have been talking and cutting up and I am afraid we won't get to bed very early.

Tuesday, May 11, 1926
Dear Diary,
I was a good little girl tonight. We had a real party in the parlor, danced, and Evelyn played and we sang.  I think everyone felt good and we certainly had lots of fun.
I wrote to my sweet man and told him about my date.  I wonder what he will think about it.  I dread to hear.  Got a letter from Imogene this evening but I don't think I shall be in a hurry about answering it.
Had intended to get a haircut but we were having too good a time.  I just couldn't leave.

Wednesday, May 12, 1926
Dear Diary,
I had intended to work on my crossword puzzle tonight but haven't done it yet.  Got my hair cut tonight and took a bath.  I am tired and sleepy now and really should go to bed.
I got my sweet letter and one from Nola Mae.  She is coming next Tuesday.  Just think--not a week to wait, but I wish it were sooner.  I'm so glad she is coming I don't know what to do.  Clint still wants me to come down for the barbeque and if I don't wish I could go, then I never wished anything.  Oh boy!  I have wanted to see him so much today.  Why can't we be together?  Such is life.

Thursday, May 13, 1926
Dear Diary,
I got two of the bestest letters this morning.  One was from home and you may guess about the other.  I answered them both at the office.  Didn't work very hard today but am rather tired and sleepy.
Alta and I made out an order for material for teds and a negligee tonight.  Then she, Nina, Lucile and I went to town to mail some letters.  We went in to Bankheads and haven't been home long.  I worked on my quilt and want to work some more before I go to bed.
Catherine was laid off today and is leaving in the morning.  Silently, one-by-one --when will my turn come?  I wonder.

Friday, May 14, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have been working on my quilt again - pieced four blocks.  Maybe I will get it done some day, but I have my doubts.
I got a darling letter from Clint and one from Reva Jane this morning.  I wrote to Clint, Gladys and Uncle Adam at the office.  Won't the latter two be surprised?  I wonder if they will answer them.  I haven't written to Gladys since last May.
Tonight is Commencement at home.  Boy, I wish I could be there.  Every time I work on my quilt (our quilt), I think more than ever of my sweet man, if that is possible.
We don't have to work tomorrow afternoon and I am certainly glad of it.

Saturday, May 15, 1926
Dear Diary,
Worked on my quilt again today and when I get through writing to you, I am going to work some more.  Getting Saturday afternoon off is a wonderful sensation - I like it.  Lucy and I went to town after dinner and I tried to get me a new hat but I have the big head, I guess.  I couldn't find very many that fit me, and none that I liked well enough to buy.  I do want one though.  Johnny Mayfield brought us home in the car.  Oh boy, what would his Ruthie say?
Of course I got my sweet letter.  Why ask?  He wanted to know if I would meet him in St. Louis for the fourth.  Oh boy, will I?  I hope to and I want to.  Got a letter from Lennice this evening.  Washed my hair before I went to town.  Two more nights.  Then Nola Mae.

Sunday, May 16, 1926
Dear Diary,
This has been a long day but I have enjoyed it so much.  My letter started the day off right for me.
I went to Sunday School at the Methodist church, and got so disgusted I don't think I shall ever want to go back.
I answered Clint's letter after S.S. and after dinner I just laid around trying to sleep.
All the other girls up here have dates tonight.  We are out of luck, I guess, but no, I don't call it that.  I have my own sweet man to think about.  We went to Baccaulaureate services but there was such a crowd we didn't stay.  Went to Bankheads for ice cream and stuff.  I'm tired and sleepy and wanna go to bed.

Monday, May 17, 1926
Dear Diary,
I did it again - went to the show with Paul Reller.  It was Lon Chaney in "The Phantom of the Opera".  Gee, it was awful.  Paul tried to kiss me again tonight but I wouldn't let him, and what is more, I don't intend to let him now or ever.  Clint probably won't like it very well but he won't say anything about it.
I wrote to him at the office.  Also to Reva Jane and Lennice.  Just think...tomorrow night Nola Mae will be here and glad?  I can hardly wait, I am so anxious to see her.
We went up to Bankheads after the show so it it rather late now.

Tuesday, May 18, 1926
Dear Diary,
Nola Mae is here and I am so happy.  We have been having lots of fun, and it is bedtime now.  I wish she could stay here all the time.
I didn't work very hard today, but I am rather tired.  Wrote to Clint but didn't tell him about my date last night.  I don't know why I didn't, but I felt as if it would be best.  I wonder if I am doing wrong?  Here's hoping I'm not.  Paul Reller sent me a flower and note today.  Thrills and heart throbs.  The kids have been kidding me about him and Clint, but I don't mind.

Wednesday, May 19, 1926
Dear Diary,
I am so tired tonight and wish I were in bed asleep.  I am afraid we won't get to sleep as much as I want to for Nola likes to talk too well.
I got the darlingest letter from Clint this morning.  It was rather long and sweet as can be.  Also got a letter from Rose.
I had a good time at the office today.  Talked to Mr. Hickerson and I am to leave on my vacation May 29 and come back for work on June 17.  Mr. Tom talked to me at noon.  Also Paul Reller.
Lucile, Nola and I went to the park and down to Bankheads after supper.  Good night, ol' dear.

Thursday, May 20, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have been having a good time tonight.  We played and sang for awhile.  Then Lucy, Nola Mae, Hope, Irene, Alta, Elsie and I went to town and also took a walk.
Nola went out to the office with me today and we had a good old talk.  I enjoyed it so much.  I got a sweet letter from a sweet man, and tried to answer it, but my answer wasn't so good.  I heard a lot of things that Miss Efficiency said about me and one of them was that my work was as neat and nice as I.  Oh boy!  Thrills and heart throbs.
Alta and I think we are going to St. Louis about the 4th of July to meet our sweet men.  Hot dog!  Here's hoping.

Friday, May 21, 1926
Dear Diary,
Nola Mae is downstairs telling the girls about her trip to Europe and I was afraid I wouldn't have time to write you if I didn't slip off now.  I have heard it all before anyway.  She is leaving about four o'clock in the morning and I know I shall miss her.
She took me to a doctor this evening and he said I didn't need to worry about my condition.  I am glad I don't.
Clint told me that he made the Civil Service Exam - made 88 and ranked fourth.  I am so very proud of my sweet boy and happy about it, too.
Paul gave Lucy and me a flower and some candy at noon.  Shortly after dinner, Mr. Hickerson called for me to take some dictation, and boy!  I liked it.  I got it all and it wasn't hard to transcribe either.  I could write more but I lack time and space.

Saturday, May 22, 1926
Dear Diary,
Lucy and I just came home from town.  Paul Reller met us and took us to Bunte.  We had already been to Bankheads and I am about stuffed.
We got a terrible shock at noon when we came home.  We found that Ruth Dawson was married this a.m. to Gentry McGruder.  You could have knocked us over with a feather.
I cleaned out the dresser drawers and packed part of my things.  Also washed some clothes, but didn't get to work on my quilt.
Nola Mae left on the ten-thirty train, but I didn't stay at home to see her off.
Mr. and Mrs. Baxter are gone tonight but we aren't afraid at all.  Clint said he didn't know when he could see me now for he won't get a vacation.  Darn.

Sunday, May 23, 1926
Dear Diary,
This has been a long day but I have rather enjoyed. it.  My special came before I had finished breakfast.  Alta and I have been planning our trip to St. Louis.  Hot stuff.  Seven of us went to S.S. this morning.  Then I wrote to Clint and after dinner, I wrote to Lennice and the folks.  Got a letter from Joy this morning.
Lucile and I started to church tonight, but backed out before we got there.  We did go to Bankheads though.  There are lots of drunks in town tonight and it is rather scary.
Last night Ruth came home after I had written to you.  She looked so happy and I bet she felt that way, too.  Wait till our day comes.

Monday, May 24, 1926
Dear Diary,
I had another date tonight and he was so nice.  Didn't try to get at all familiar and I enjoy going with him when he is that way.  The show was Douglas Fairbanks in "Don Q".  We went to Bankheads after the show and my head is splitting now.  Boy, it does hurt.  And hot?  I'm about to melt.
I got three letters this morning-one from home, one from Reva Jane, and the best one of all - my Clint's.  I wrote an application and a letter to Mr. V. G. besides the one to my sweet man.  A few more days and I will be home.  Hot stuff.

Tuesday, May 25, 1926
Dear Diary,
We went to watch the boat excursion leave tonight and I almost wish I were going or gone, I should say.  I am so tired and this room is like a bake oven.  I don't believe we can stand it up here this summer.
I got a letter from home tonight and Daddy is thinking of coming down after me.  I hope he doesn't for that will spoil my chances of going to Quincy.  We are to get off all day Saturday so I can leave Friday night or early Saturday morning.  Won't that be great?
I took dictation from Hick today and he went like lightening, almost.  I didn't get it all out and I am afraid I won't be able to read the rest of it tomorrow.  Clint's letter was rather short and snappy today.

Wednesday, May 26, 1926
Dear Diary,
It is rather late and I haven't accomplished much tonight either.  I washed my hair right after work, then had it cut.  Finished a letter to Nola Mae and went with Irene and Lucile out to Cordles.  When we came back we were hungry so Irene and I went to town after some ice cream cones.  I got out the rest of my dictation this morning and took some this afternoon from Miss Slayton.  It wasn't half bad.
Paul sent me a rose this morning.  Thrills.  Got my letter, and the chances of seeing my sweet man aren't so good as they might be.  I got a darling letter from Nola Mae too.  She is anxious for me to come to Chicago to work.  Two more nights and then - oh boy!

Thursday, May 27, 1926
Dear Diary,
Hope, Irene, Lucy and I went to the show tonight.  It was sad and, of course, I cried - Claire Windsor in "The Denial".
Lucy is to be laid off tomorrow.  Then we are leaving for Quincy about four o'clock Saturday morning-if nothing happens.  Then I will get to see dear old Lennice and I hope to have a good talk with her while I am there.  And I am thrilled to a polka dot at the thought of going home.
I took some more dictation from Miss Slayton this morning.
My sweet man wants me to come down.  I wish I could go, but I don't care what I do, just so I can see him.
Lucile wanted to walk to the station tomorrow and she is on a rampant.  I am on one, too.  It makes me darn tired.

Friday, May 28, 1926
Dear Diary,
This has been the awfullest day.  It started wrong by my receiving a card from Daddy, saying he would come after me.  That knocked all my plans to pieces and made me almost sick.  I have the blues so badly.  Lucile and Irene are getting ready to go to Quincy in the morning and I can't go with them.  That just kills me, almost.
I took dictation from Glenn Thomas today and got along fine.
Paul wanted to see me before I left, so he came out a while and took Lucy and me to the ice cream parlor.
While I was gone I had a long distance call.  They said it was from home, so I put in a call for there, but they weren't calling at all.  It just worries me to death.  We went through the packing house at noon.  I dread tomorrow - getting up at three o'clock.

Saturday, May 29, 1926
Dear Diary,
Another awful day.  We got up early this morning and went to the station with Irene and Lucile.  After that, we went to a fire, then I went home and went to bed at five.  About seven, I heard Mrs. Baxter calling me to the telephone.  It was Daddy.  He said for me to go on to Quincy and he would meet me there.  I did go and hadn't been there long when I missed my ring.  I haven't found it yet, and I hardly hope to.  Oh, Diary, I am the most heartsick girl that ever lived, on a day when I should have been happy.
I did manage to buy a new dress and hat - both rose color, but I wasn't interested in them.
Daddy and I started home but it got to looking so stormy that we decided to stay all night here, in Edina.  We are at the Victor house.  I wrote to Clint and told him about the ring.  Had two letters from him and love him more than ever.

Sunday, May 30, 1926
Dear Diary,
I am home and glad of it, too.  We left Edina about eight this morning and got here before eleven.  Everything looked so nice and clean.  Mother had a lovely dinner but I wasn't at all hungry.  Shortly after dinner, Wilma called and wanted me to come to the train to see her.  She was leaving for Kirksville.  I went past for Dorothea and then we saw Wilma for a few minutes.
Wayne called tonight and wanted a date, but "nothin doin'".  I wonder what he thinks I am anyway.
Daddy and I went to church but Mother didn't go because it was raining.  I wrote to Clinton just before supper, and after too.  I wish he were here.

Monday, May 31, 1926
Dear Diary,
Mother, Polly and I have been working on "our" crossword puzzle.  It is over half done and I want to get it finished before I go back to Louisiana.
I helped with the washing this morning and it was a big one, too.  I got my letter this afternoon and wrote to him, too.  I wonder what he thinks of his little girl and her ability to lose things.  I really wonder.
Paul (brother) took us car riding tonight and he is a keen little driver, too.  Then we went up to see Lois and her Mother, but Lois wasn't at home.  I have so much sewing to be done that I am anxious to get busy.
I went to the train this morning and saw Reva Jane for a few minutes.  She is coming over next Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment