Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Granny writes...........January, 1926

Lots has happened in young Marie's life between mid-April, 1925 and January, 1926.  She has graduated from high school, attended Gem City Business College, met someone named Don, and fallen in love with a young man named Clinton Croft, whom she sometimes refers to as "Abie". 

In January of 1926, Marie is busy piecing a quilt and writing (and receiving) daily letters.  She has a recurring pain in her right side and is lonely for Clinton.  She bakes her first pie and is worried about getting a "position" (job), for she is afraid she won't get to buy new clothes!  On a lighter note, Clinton has told her he got some "honeymoon suggestions" from his Dad!!! 

Friday, January 1, 1926
Dear Diary,
You are the gift of the dearest boy in all the world.  I received you yesterday and I am so proud of you.  Shall we be friends!
Last night Pauline, Miss Grinstead and I went to Lois Meals' to a watch party.  Lois, Nola Mae, and I went to the show, "The Sea Hawk", then met Fred who came in on the night train.  We came home about one this morning and slept rather late.  Nola stayed all night with us because Mother is at Bethel.
I got my daily letter from Clinton.  I wonder when I shall see him?  I hope it is soon.

Saturday, January 2, 1926
Pauline, Dorsie and I just got home from Meals'.  I have danced all evening.  Had a good time.
I baked my first pie today and it was good, too.  Dorsie is staying all night with us.  I made biscuits for supper.  They were good, too.  Perhaps I will be able to cook a little by the time my Clinton gets me.
I got a letter from him today, also one from Mother.  She is wanting to come home on Monday.
I haven't studied my S.S. lesson very much and I have to teach a class, Mrs. Henry's.  Good night, diary dear.

Sunday, January 3, 1926
Dear Diary,
We were surprised about 3:30 this afternoon when Mother, Daddy, and Helen drove up.  They would have waited until tomorrow but they were afraid the roads would be bad.
We went to S.S. this morning and to church tonight.  I got my sweet old letter today and boy!  I enjoyed it!  I made biscuits twice today.  They were good both times.  I wonder if the dear boy likes them!  Here's hoping he does.
Pauline curled my hair for me this evening.  I wrote to Don, Clint, and Mr. V.G.

Monday, January 4, 1926
Dear Diary:
I am blue and lonely tonight even though I did get my usual letter.  My side hurts so badly and I am worrying because I haven't a position.  Sometimes I think I made a mistake in coming home when I did.  Oh, how I wish I had a good position.
I have been working on my old rose apron tonight.  I think I shall keep it for at least three years.  Then CGC will get the benefit of it.  I wish I could see him now.  I might forget part of my troubles then.

Tuesday, January 5, 1926
I finished embroidering my apron tonight.  My side has been bothering me so much today.  Daddy thinks perhaps I have appendicitis.
I got three letters today, one from my dear Clinton, one from Lennice, and one from Uncle Adam.  I enjoyed them all and answered Clint and Lennice's.
I went to town this evening with Nola Mae.  I have been a regular dumb-bell all day.  I can't think or say anything right.

Wednesday, January 6, 1926
This is Thursday evening, but I went to Prayer Meeting last night and forgot to write to you.  We ironed yesterday morning and I received letters from May C, Don, Mr. V.G., and my dearly beloved.
Mr. V.G. told me to write to Louisiana, MO and Lancaster, MO.  I went up to the school house and typed those letters.  Also wrote to a man at Green Top.
Diary, dear, I am so relieved.

Thursday, January 7, 1926
I have been cutting quilt blocks all day and glory be, but I am tired.  But I love to do it.  When I get tired, I think of who it is for and go on.  It is a pleasure to work when I have someone so good and true to think about.  This will be my first quilt.
I got two wonderful letters today.  I was very much surprised when I got the second, and it was a good one, too!  How I do love him, Diary -- no one knows.
I feel so sick tonight I can hardly sit up.  Tonight is Mrs. Pfeiffers banquet for the Seniors.

Friday, January 8, 1926
I have cut quilt blocks all afternoon and evening.  Nola Mae just left.  She did some tatting.  I have only forty blocks cut and must have fifty-six.  Gee-oh!  Its some work!
I got my dear letter.  He said his father offered some suggestions about their honeymoon.  It rather tickled me.
This has been a beautiful day, but I wish I had a position in view.  The days might seem brighter to me then.

Saturday, January 9, 1926
I am still a sick woman.  Have been sicker than ever.  This morning I got dizzy and the folks said I was pale.  Mother was about ready to call the Doctor but I got somewhat better.  I haven't worked any, though, today.  I mean housework.  I have been piecing quilt blocks.  Mother pieced eight blocks for me tonight.  I have pieced only seven all day long.
I got my letter and answered. it.  Nothing of importance has happened.  Grinstead and Blair stopped in on their way from town.

Sunday, January 10, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have been at home nearly all day.  The folks just got home from church.  I didn't feel like going.  I think it was mostly laziness, though.
I went to S.S. this morning but came home just as soon as the classes were over.
I got my dear letter and answered it.  Since then, I have been reading my old letters from Clinton.  I have enjoyed my evening, too.  I have been so lonesome for him today.  How I wish I could be with him again.

Monday, January 11, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have just been watching a fire.  Wal Price's house just burned.  We didn't know anything about it till it was nearly over.  A thing like that makes me so nervous.  What if our house should burn?
I have been cutting quilt blocks for Mother and me all afternoon.  I am anxious to piece some more.
Nola Mae came in after school to see me.  She is so faithful.  Hasn't missed a day since I have been sick.  I am not well, even yet.
I got my letter this afternoon.  Clinton is talking of working for Kresge's.  I wonder what next?  I wish I could see him now.

Tuesday, January 12, 1926
Dear Diary,
Cutting quilt blocks is an endless job.  We haven't finished yet and have been working all evening.  We ironed this morning.
I got the "bestest" letter.  He said that even though he hasn't been invited, he was coming up anyway.  As if I weren't crazy for him to come.  Why, I'd be so glad I wouldn't know what to do with myself.  I hope he does come soon, but I bet it will be ages before I see him again.
Nola Mae stopped in to see me after school.  I wrote Clinton a long letter.  Got one from Don today.  I wonder how I'll ever explain to my dearly beloved about him?

Wednesday, January 13, 1926
Dear Diary,
Still cutting quilt blocks.  Pauline and Miss Grinstead went to Prayer Meeting but I didn't want to go.
Daddy went to town early this morning.  He didn't come home at noon and we couldn't imagine what had happened to him.  I was worried to death, almost, cried and everything.  He came home about 5:30 and had been to Kirksville with Bob Zeigler.  He didn't have time to call before he left.  He'd better not try a trick like that again.
I got my letter and answered it.  I wish he would send his picture.
Saw Ella Martin in town today.

Thursday, January 14, 1926
We just came home from Meals'.  I had a good time dancing with Dorothea and Lois.  Listening to the music makes me think of my dear Abie.
As we were coming home, Evert Chapman stopped me and asked if I wanted to take a ride.  I said "No, thanks", and came on.
I got my letter from Cairo and one from Louisiana, MO.  They say they will have a position open in a few days, possibly ten.  If they write again, I suppose I shall go, but I don't think they pay a very good salary and I am rather skeptical about the place.  It is lots nearer to Cairo.

Friday, January 15, 1926
Dear Diary,
Nola Mae and I went to the show tonight.  It was Beverly Bayne in "The Tenth Woman".  It was rather interesting but the plot was not very deep.
I also went to town with Nola after school, to mail my letter to the dear boy.  I feel so queer tonight - things don't seem real, but I guess they are.  The only real thing is my idea about Clinton, rather my affection.  I am sure that I love him, but some people think I don't know what I want.  I want him now, but that is the impossible.
I pieced several blocks today.

Saturday, January 16, 1926
Dear Diary,
Another show tonight. "Hoot Gibson" in "The Hurricane Kid".  Nola Mae and I had planned to spend a quiet evening at home when the telephone rang and Reva June asked us to come to town and go to the show with her.  She also wanted me to go home with her.
Nola and I went to town this afternoon and were with Wilma quite a while.  I got a letter from my dearest one and one from Lennice.  I hope that I can visit her if I go to Louisiana and I think it will be possible.  I haven't seen her for a long long time, it seems or Clinton either.

Sunday, January 17, 1926
Dear Diary,
Just home from League and church.  We took Dorsie part way home.  I went to S.S. this morning and taught my class.
I made a banana salad for dinner.  I got my letter from Clinton.  It was a short one for he was in a hurry.  I answered it right away, then Nola and I took it to the train and mailed it.  We went walking, then over to Pfeiffers where we stayed to supper.
I wonder how many more Sundays I shall be at home, or if I shall be gone next Sunday.  I hope I get a position soon.

Monday, January 18, 1926
Dear Diary,
Piecing quilt blocks all day long.  Not quite that bad, but almost.
I didn't get my usual letter and I don't know what to think about it.  I am afraid he may have been hurt or sick or something.  If anything should happen to him, I believe I should die.  And I miss his letter so much.  I feel lost and lonesome.
Daddy went to Kirksville this morning.  Nola and I went to town after school, then we went walking.  N.M.Y. says she wouldn't be surprised if I didn't marry my Clint, but I'll show her...if nothing happens to keep him from wanting me.

Tuesday, January 19, 1926
Dear Diary,
Just five more blocks to piece.  Mother has been helping this evening and I have been embroidering a design on a nightgown Mother made for me.
I got three wonderful letters today.  One had been mis-sent to Green Castle.  He wrote two on Sunday evening.  Sometimes I wonder if he will remain true to me.  I don't see how I could stand it if anything should happen to prevent our being together.
I went to town twice today.  Once with Nola Mae.  She had intended to come down this evening, but went to a party instead.  I wish I would hear from Louisiana tomorrow.

Wednesday, January 20, 1926
Dear Diary,
I just finished reading in the Bible.  I signed a pledge card Sunday night promising to do that every day.
Nola, Pauline, and I went to Prayer Meeting at Kents'.  I am supposed to lead next Wednesday night if I am still here.  Here's hoping I'm not.
Reva June had intended to come up to the Junior program tonight and then take me home with her, but it snowed so much they couldn't come.  I hope they can come tomorrow night.
Mother cut me a dress today and I bought material for a pink and white quilt.  I got my letter as usual.  I don't think I will see him for ages.

Thursday, January 21, 1926
Dear Diary,
I am at Reva June's.  It is now after one o'clock.  We have been sitting by the fire trying to get warm.  We had car trouble and "Doc" Tharp brought us home.  Boy!  It was cold.  The Junior program was swell.
I got my daily letter and answered it.  I won't get any for a while now.

Friday, January 22, 1926
Dear Diary,
I visited school all day today.  I think Reva is a good teacher.  I like her methods as well.
I wrote to Clinton this morning, but it isn't mailed yet.
I talked to Pauline and Nola Mae.  They want me to come home tomorrow.
We are so sleepy that we want to go to bed.  I can hardly hold my eyes open, but I suppose we will talk half the night.

Saturday, January 23, 1926
Dear Diary,
I am at home now.  Reva and I came up on the afternoon train.  We got up rather late this morning.  After I got home, I washed my hair and Pauline and I curled it.
Reva, Nola, and I had planned to go to the show, but Dot called and wanted us to go with her to her Uncle's to hear their new radio.  Reva went to the show with Thelma Stockton and we just came home from Pfeiffers.
I got my two letters and clever they were.  They made me want to see him more than ever.
Nola Mae is the darlingest thing ever.  She made the tatting for my gown last night.

Sunday, January 24, 1926
My dear,
I went to S.S.  Had a rather interesting class.  Reva came by and wanted me to go to the train with her, which I did.  I was standing there bidding her farewell when I looked up and there stood Dad.  He had come up from Kirksville and went back on the evening train.  I got my usual letter and answered it.  Also got one from Stark Brothers saying they would send for me about the first part of February.  I wonder if they will.
Went to League and church tonight.  On top of leading Prayer meeting Wednesday night, I have to lead League next time.  Such luck.

Monday, January 25, 1926
Dear Diary,
I have twelve blocks pieced on my pink and white quilt.  I should have said "our".  Got my letter.  It was rather short but he promised to do better.  I answered it and took it to town when I went with Nola Mae after school.
I have now answered Don's last letter and don't intend to answer any more from him.  I feel rather wicked for not writing and because I haven't told my Clint about him, but I don't believe he would care if I explained it all to him.
Nola Mae gave me some linen yesterday for a dresser scarf or something.  Isn't she a perfect dear?
Two months since Clint left.

Tuesday, January 26, 1926
Dear Diary,
I just came home from the show.  Nola Mae wanted me to go with her.  It was "The Lady of the Night".  Mother doesn't know that I went.  I wonder what she will say.
I didn't get much work done this evening.  Just pieced two blocks and joined them.  Went to town after school with Nola Mae to mail my letter.  I don't know what is the matter with Clinton, but his letters don't sound like they used to.  Is he losing interest in me already?  I hope not, for I couldn't stand it if I thought he didn't love me.  He seems so far away.
Tomorrow night Prayer Meeting will be over.  How I dread it.

Wednesday, January 27, 1926
Dear Diary,
Just home from Prayer Meeting and you should have heard the people rave about the lesson.  Rev. Young said it was wonderful and that I was cut out to be a teacher.  There was such a crowd there that I felt rather shaky and in my own heart.  I don't think the lesson was so very good.  They just wanted me to think it was.
I had my hair cut this evening and wrote my letter.  Today's letter wasn't any better.  I believe he must be forgetting me fast.  I wish he had been here tonight.
I cut enough blocks for another row for my quilt.  It certainly is slow work.

Thursday, January 28, 1926
Nola Mae just left.  She has been tatting and I have been working on "our" quilt.
I got my letter and it was better than the last ones have been, even though it was very short and he promised to write a longer one next time.
I have been blue today for a change.  If I only had a position and could be working now.  I will never be able to pay my debt or get any new clothes.
I went to town with Nola Mae after school.  She treated me at Watson's.  She certainly does spend her share of money on me and I can't repay her now.  I shall try to some day, though.

Friday, January 29, 1926
Dear Diary,
I just came home from Nola Mae's.  She has been telling me a lot of things about married life that her sisters and Grace have told her.  It is quite interesting.
I got a good long letter today from the dear boy and I am much happier.  When he writes short letters it seems as if he doesn't have time to think about me at all.  I guess I'm selfish.
Daddy went to Kirksville this morning.  We heard that Aunt Nora has been having trouble with her teeth.
Mrs. W. W. Shoop told me today that my love affair must be serious and that she was afraid they would lose me.  There is no immediate danger of my marrying.  Do you think so?

Saturday, January 30, 1926
Dear Diary,
This is Sunday night.  I went out to Wilma's last night and failed to take you with me.  Reva June, Nola Mae, and I went out with Mrs. Page and Wilma in the big wagon.  We talked till midnight, then tried sleeping four in a bed but it didn't work very well so Wilma slept with her Mother  We had leaps of fun.  Reva June and I danced to our heart's content, with Wilma at the piano.
Of course I got my letter and answered it.

Sunday, January 31, 1926
Dear Diary,
We are just home from church.  Reva June and Nola Mae are here.  We are going to take Reva to the train.  We walked home from Page's or most of the way, and was it muddy?  Oh no!
We didn't get up till about ten thirty and had dinner about two o'clock.  It was a good one, too.  They had vesper services at church.  I didn't go to the choir, but sat with Reva June.
I got my dear letter but haven't had a chance to answer it.  I hate it so, for I haven't missed a day for so long and I don't know what he will think.  I shall try to make it up one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment